Friday, November 9, 2012

Maui Sunday



As I developed a line across the lens of my camera, I decided to just sit back and enjoy the view as no photograph will really capture the essence of what my eyes really see.  A thought came over me….  Sunrises over Haleakala are kind of like safaris.  At first you just click away on your camera to get all those marvelous pictures.  After awhile, you realize you need to sit back and enjoy the view and take it all in at the moment.  That is what I did today. 

On the coffee table, I discovered a marvelous book entitled, “Hawai’ Looking Back: an illustrated history of the islands,” by Glen Grant, Bennett Hymer and Bishop Museum Archives.  It contains old photographs and illustrations dating back to the 1850s.  This is definitely not a book one would want to buy here and take back in your suitcase as it is quite heavy.  Amazon has it used for $26.99. 

Lucky for us, we have nothing scheduled today.  At 8:30am (been up since 5), I am lounging in my nightie on the sofa, looking out over the lanai seeing a catamaran and another boat on the bay….. 

I have found the Hawaiian people to be very personable.  They ask you where you are from and make a familiar comment about your state.  One young man at the luau mentioned that he knew North Carolina to be famous for our football and basketball.  When I said I had brought my Tar Heel hat, he asked why I hadn’t worn it.  Two hours later leaving the luau, the same young man told me to be sure to where my NC hat when I returned.  A few days later at the Waterfront restaurant, one of our wait staff again asked where we were from.  When I said, North Carolina he asked if I was from near Myrtle Beach.  He had heard that it was a beautiful beach.  Both young men were trying to make a connection.  Crystal says this is common among the Hawaiian people.  I find it quite nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment