Saturday, August 14, 2010

What I've Done and Where I've Been

Here is a link to the 71 Night Cruise I took with Crystal in 2008. http://beths71nightcruise.blogspot.com/

The first trip I remember is going to Williamsburg, VA probably at the age of 4. My mom, dad, brother and I would travel each summer to different locales close to where we lived. At that time we were in Baltimore, MD. My brother has all the slides and yellow Kodak picture books from my childhood, so I need to get some pictures to post.

After we moved to Ohio, I remember trips to Michigan and New Hampshire.  The only memory I have from the Michigan trip is that we were not able to get to Mackinac Island due to heavy fog.  After seeing the movie, Somewhere in Time, with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, I wished I had been there.  The New Hampshire trip coincided with a conference my dad had at a small college.  We hadn't made any motel reservations, but ended up in a small cabin on a lake.  During the day, my brother would fish or we would swim in the lake.  Mom cooked the fish that Carroll caught, though he didn't eat any.

That was the summer I learned to play gin rummy and solitaire... the old fashioned way, with cards.  Gin rummy became a favorite game in our house.  We all played with Bob.  When coming home for a weekend visit, I could hardly get in the door and the cards were shuffled and a few games played.  We would always play after breakfast and lunch to discuss our daily plans.  Bob would always pack a deck of card on trips so we could play on airplane rides or lull times in our hotel rooms or ship suites.  As family members can attest, it was hard to beat Bob!

At the age of 10 my Grandma and Pop Pop took my to Canada and New York. Going to Quebec and NYC was fascinating at that age, and still today. I had a chance to return to Quebec on a cruise a few years ago and revisited Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré and memories of what I saw with my grandparents returned. 

My first solo airplane ride was at the age of 16 flying from Raleigh-Durham to Cincinnati to visit friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment