(As I sit on my bed at 5am, looking out my window, the sky
is lightening over Haleakala this Thursday morning. I do realize that I am one day behind in my
writing. Plus I am so regimented to a
chronological style of writing, the Type A in me finds it difficult to venture
away from this. Please forgive me.)
The sunrise over Haleakala on Wednesday was
magnificent. As the sun first reached
the clouds, it looked like the tips of the clouds were on fire with a yellow
glow. The flames continued to
increased. No pictures, that I take can
resemble what I saw. It was truly
amazing. We drank our coffee just
enjoying the view, listening to the surf and smiling ohm, and taking pictures.
Not long, I was on our beach camera in hand,
After a quick breakfast, we went down to the beach and gingerly walked
our way into the water… it was brisk, but I finally made it in up to my
shoulders. Later I walked down the beach
to a man-made jetty of black lava rocks.
There was some sort of greenery growing on the rocks and as it got more
and more sunlight, it looked like it may be some sort of sea lettuce. I’ll have to go back at low tide to see what
it turns out to be.
After more lanai time we hopped in the car and drove toward
Kihie. First stop was the Farmer’s
Market for fresh fruit and vegetables.
New to me were the apple bananas and a Maui Onion Dressing. As we drove into the Safeway grocery store
lot, we spied Hilo Hattie’s, a famous souvenir shop I had heard about. I bought a few things and got a free beach
towel. If you come to Maui, be sure to
pick up many of the brochures at baggage claim.
They have loads of coupons similar to the coupon books in most resort
areas.
We decided to have lunch at Buzz’s Wharf and enjoyed the
view of the harbor. Many people were
just getting off their snorkel adventure, which we have booked for
tomorrow. Crystal had the pick lunch by
ordering the Markea Prawns Wrap made from rice paper. It reminded me of Thai Moon’s shrimp spring
rolls on Ocracoke. If we go back, I’ll
get the wraps.
Lanai time (here forth known as LT) seems to be our favorite
activity: just sitting, enjoying the
views and sounds, sometimes with a drink!
This afternoon we enjoyed our version of Guava Daiquiris. What a
lovely added touch to our LT. Dinner
consisted of a salad made with our recently purchased fresh vegetables and Maui
Onion Dressing, guacamole and chips and leftovers of our mahi wraps from last
night’s dinner, plus a shiraz.
It sounds like you had a wonderful day! Wish I were with you to enjoy the views, foods, and especially the apple banana!
ReplyDelete"...I am so regimented to a chronological style of writing, the Type A in me finds it difficult to venture away from this..."
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I know what you mean. I've managed to venture away from this style just a bit when we are at what I term as a "chill out" campground and there's not much to do but rest and relax. Otherwise, I revert to my chronological mode ;-))
For some reason the RSS feed for your blog is not updating ... I was stuck at when you bought the snorkel skin. So I am catching up now.