About 15 minutes before sunrise our resident “rooster”
notifies us we need to get our butts on the lanai. These are really birds with yellow peaks and
yellow feet. As we got our breakfast and
hurried to our place on the lanai, this bird looked at us as if to say, “Thank
Goodness you two are here to join me for this glorious sight!”
My second sunrise over Haleakala was even more spectacular
than my first. This morning the colors
on the clouds began as a light salmon color turning to a deeper peach. As the clouds were darker and lower over the
volcano, the experience was totally different than yesterday. Also the colors all over the sky were
wonderful (hard to come by just the right adjective): behind us toward to
windmills or in front of us toward Molokini. I told Crystal this
morning that the sunrises are so special they almost inspired me to write
poetry…..
One of today’s adventures includes a snorkeling trip to the
afford mentioned Molkini. This is a
crescent shaped remains of a volcano or as Captain Dan told us a steam spout
from Haleakala. We were on the Four
Winds II booked through Maui Classic Charters.
It was a full boat with lots of families with various ages of
children. Everyone I saw was well
behaved and congenial, children and adults.
After an hour ride to the dive spot, we backed into our spot
and began snorkeling. I’ve been to
better coral reefs, this one has been harmed seriously. There were many varieties of fish, but few in
number. With all the people on our boat,
as times it seemed congested. When my
mask began to fog, I swam back to the boat to get it defogged. The swells kept throwing me back to the boat,
so I just gave up and got back on the boat.
After that I went down hill will a bit of mal de mer. I tried
the special Sprite and Ginger Puree, but after 2 it wasn’t much help. The odors coming from the food made it even
worse, so I ate potato chips for lunch.
I did try a bite of a hot dog,
but it wasn’t so good either. The ride
back had a stop at Turtle Town, an area that had a few Hawaiian green
turtles. They were good sized, we saw
maybe 4-5. When we got back to our
condo, it was down time until our luau.
Old Lahania Luau ….. more to come
No comments:
Post a Comment