Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 19, 2012 continued


Fortuna Bay   5:00pm 38*

After two fabulous outings this morning, we thought nothing could top this day……. Boy was  I wrong.  A totally different terrain was ahead of us.  Here we saw hundreds of fur seal, a few elephant seal and more king penguins.  I know you are probably thinking, so what was so different about this place,  Just more of the same.  Here at Fortuna Bay was a huge flat area with small creeks.  In the distance was a large king penguin colony and reindeer.  Not indigenous to South Georgia, reindeer were brought in by the whalers in the early 1900s as a food source.  Betty wanted a photo of them, so Andi and I walked through the crowds of penguins and seals, just enjoying the playful behaviors of these animals.  We got hissed at a lot by the fur seal pups.  They come across as so mean but inside are just sweeties.  I think they may be my favorite animals here on South Georgia.  After a couple of hours, it seemed like, we turned around and slowly walked back to the landing sight, cleaned our boots on the boot brushes, hopped in the zodiac and rode back to the ship. 

Lucky for us, our ship stayed nestled in the bay overnight.  This made of a nice shower before dinner with no rocking and calm waters for resting for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment