Monday, January 16, 2012

Stanley, East Falkland 48* 8:00am


Monday, Jan. 16, 20012

Today is our only port on this cruise.  Our zodiacs began running at 9am, our group was the last today.  There are four groups called to the zodiacs and they are rotated.  After the first group was called, then the last 3 were called at the same time.  Since this is the last place for civilization, I walked on down to the gangway and got on the zodiac.  It was a nice smooth ride in and no water involved.

I met up with Mary and Ed from Hilton Head and road the free shuttle down to the museum.  It was small with a lot of maritime artifacts and also items from Queen Elizabeth II.  It seemed to be an eclectic museum, and the ladies at the desk were quite nice and informative.  I bought a book written by an 11 year old girl during the Falkland War of 18982.  After visiting the museum, I walked down the front street enjoying the views of the bay and looking at the houses and flowers.  Also Stanley has the most southern Cathedral with whale jawbones outside the church.  As you can imagine, there are many monuments to the British and the veterans of the Falkland Wars here.

The town has a population of 2115 people and they get three cruise ships a week during summer months.  When the big mega ships come in I am sure their population more than doubles. The shop keepers were surprised that we only had 4 hours here.  When I told them we were off to South Georgia, they were surprised and understood why our time was limited here.  Everyone seemed nice and friendly.  Just like in Alaska, Stanley gets many hours of sun during summer months and the flowers here are large and lovely.

Eventually I made it to the Harbour View Gift Shop also known as “anything with a penguin on it”.  There were a lot of items with penguins on them.  Many people from our ship were doing some major shopping here.  I found my shot glass, a few t-shirts and penguin candy. 

We now have 2.5 sea days as we approach South Georgia.

Next blog- life on the sea…….

No comments:

Post a Comment